Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Interview Review

So last Thursday I conducted my seven interviews with potential coop students. Overall, I was pleased with the results. I had some non typical responses this time around, which was refreshing. After one recruits at the same location for a period of time, you start to see trends in responses to questions. These trends are a result of the classes the students take and the projects that they work on. I am not sure if it is a fault of the classes or professors, but from year to year the projects do not seem to change. Is this a good thing? I guess it depends on your point of view. Personally, I would rather see something new each year, or at least a rotation through different projects. This would give the students something new to work on, and allow me to hear some different responses.

The info session helped to eliminate a lot of standard questions that I would get in an interview situation, so it was nice to have some new questions to respond to. Some of the good ones included: do I like my job?, can I get a patent for a new technology that I develop?, tell me about the management style?, and what is the social life like? All good questions that made for good discussion with the students. If you are a student doing an interview make sure to ask 2 or 3 questions. It shows that you are interested in the company, and it will spark further conversation. I always feel like an interview can come to an abrupt halt when students do not have questions, so be prepared!

After I came back I sat down with HR and we reviewed my paperwork and I made my recommendations. There will be some offers going out, which is always exciting. I cannot wait to go back next year, as the students continue to impress me.

No comments:

Post a Comment