Tuesday, July 6, 2010

She had song

Tuesday night lessons are typically nothing special, but tonight was different. Tonight my student taught me a lesson. Tonight I witnessed raw emotion in the form of song. Tonight I saw true feelings being expressed. True anger. True frustration. Questions of why. My student was playing a one chord song and expressing frustration about a friendship gone wrong. She smiled, only slightly embarrassed, after the finishing the first first. I encouraged her to continue, to sing louder, to sing with the emotion she felt. And you know what? She did.

I know that true artists can transform feelings into tangible form. Forms like sculpture, art, spoken word, written word, and song. The expressive feeling can be felt while in the presence of such art. It is real. When it is authentic, we know it. It powerful. Its moving. Its inspiring. It makes us want to do more. I want to do more.

For what its worth my student is in grade school and arrived with a guitar that was out of tune and missing one string. Sometimes I think we get caught up in the production of things. We say its not good enough so I can't do it. Its night fast enough. It doesn't sound good. Its whatever. These are all just excuses. This grade schooler had no excuses, she had song.

No comments:

Post a Comment